Frequently Asked Questions

Filing taxes with 1040 Abroad


1. How do I start filing taxes with 1040 Abroad?

Completing serious and demanding obligations, such as Income Tax Returns, can be hard work that requires a lot of knowledge and attention. Putting all the information together and finding a proper way to prepare and finish all of the requirements within the deadline is not an easy job. That’s why 1040 Abroad is here. We simplify the procedure, making sure your effort is minimal and that you get the best service in a short period of time. After you contact us, we will respond to your inquiry within one business day.

The first step in starting the process is populating the ‘1040Abroad questionnaire’. We will send you this questionnaire, which you can fill in with all the necessary information regarding the tax year(s) you need to file the returns for. While answering the ‘1040Abroad questionnaire’, you can leave a note or any type of comment after every question or statement, if you need to emphasize some information. We will then create a secure lockbox for you where you can upload all of your documents, which we will use to prepare the returns accurately, along with the ‘1040Abroad questionnaire’.

When all the information is gathered, we will take care of your returns. While we are preparing them, you can always contact us if you need any further information or you have remembered to add something that might be useful for your tax return. Prepared returns, as well as other forms that might be required to file, will have instructions that contain all of the necessary information you need to file your returns to the IRS. Reliability, promptness, and transparency are the words that best describe the relationship we have with our clients.

[back to top]

2. How much does it cost to use 1040 Abroad services?

At 1040 Abroad, we offer custom-made tax solutions for each of our clients. We are reliable and work faster than other companies, which is proven by the hundreds of satisfied clients who stay loyal to us after their first experience with the company. We don’t bill you on an hourly basis with no guarantee of results; the price you see is the price you pay.

Our services include:

  • Federal tax return preparation and filing – Starting at 400$
  • State tax return preparation and filing – Starting at 100$
  • Late tax returns from prior years – Starting at 400$
  • Free extension filing – Free of charge
  • FBAR filing (Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts) – Flat rate of 100$
  • FATCA (Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act) reporting – Included in standard tax return package
  • Streamlined compliance package – Starting at $1,800 for the last three years’ tax return and $2,600 for the last five years’ tax return
  • Personal tax consulting and advice – Starting at $100 for one hour
  • Canadian tax return – Starting at $400
  • Immigration to the U.S. and emigration out of it – Consultation at $100 for one hour
  • Renouncing U.S. citizenship – Starting at $700 (dual status and Form 8854)

Our professional tax specialists are passionate about helping you with your expat tax case by guiding you through the process. We work to relieve your tax load by minimizing your tax liability and maximizing available deductions.

[back to top]

3. Can 1040 Abroad help me to renounce my citizenship?

The answer to that question is ‘Yes’. As mentioned previously, 1040 Abroad is here to make your tax obligations easier and simpler, with less money and more reliability. When it comes to renouncing your citizenship, our professionals will prepare the final tax return for you, as well as Form 8854 (the so-called “Exit Tax”, if necessary). Assuming that you didn’t renounce on January 1st, we will prepare the 1040NR return, as well as the 1040 tax return (dual status return). In cases where you haven’t been compliant prior to the renouncing, 1040 Abroad can prepare a “streamlined procedure package” so that you can relinquish your citizenship easier.

Renouncing U.S. citizenship can be a tricky and time-demanding process. That’s why we cooperate with professionals in the field of immigration law who will help you to gather the information and renounce as fast as it’s possible. If there’s a need for it, we will gladly contact our immigration law expert who will help you out. If not, the procedure is practically the same as with regular 1040 tax returns (but with forms that refer to renouncing citizenship): you populate the “1040 Abroad questionnaire” and provide us with the necessary documents and information. Our experts will do the rest – reliably, promptly and transparently.

[back to top]

USA: (833) 397-2829 (toll free)

1632 1st Ave #29692
New York, NY 10028

U.S. Taxes For American Expats E-book

FREE U.S. Tax Guide for Americans Abroad

The only e-book about U.S. Expat Taxes you need to read! Covers

1. Foreign Tax Credit vs. Foreign Earned Income Exclusion

2. The Additional Child Tax Credit. Get a $1,400 refund!

3.  What happens if I don't file?

and more...

Thanks for requesting our free tax guide! It will be delivered to your inbox shortly.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.