Who Files 1040NR: Nonresident Alien Tax Return

Apr 29, 2024

Understanding U.S. tax obligations, including filing obligations, is essential for nonresident aliens, especially those who earn “U.S.-sourced income” through investments or employment in the U.S. It’s crucial to be aware of the requirement to file the correct tax forms by their deadlines to avoid significant penalties or missing out on a refund. Many nonresidents are unfamiliar with the intricacies of the U.S. tax system and the specific filing obligations, such as the need to file a tax return if engaged in a trade or business in the U.S.

Form 1040-NR plays a crucial role for individuals who are not American citizens but earn income from U.S. sources. Additionally, if you are a U.S. citizen or Green Card holder considering renouncing your citizenship or relinquishing your Green Card, it’s important to understand how this decision will alter your tax obligations.

Who is a Non-resident Alien?

A non-resident alien is an individual who is neither a U.S. citizen nor a U.S. national. This designation also applies to those who have not passed either the “green card test” or the substantial presence test,” which are criteria used to determine resident alien status for tax purposes in the United States. Common examples of non-resident aliens include students on F-1 or J-1 visas, teachers, and people seeking medical treatment in the U.S.

Unlike U.S. citizens and resident aliens, who are taxed on their worldwide income, non-resident aliens are taxed only on their income from sources within the United States and on income connected with the conduct of a trade or business in the U.S. Non-resident aliens are required to file Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ to report their U.S. source income, unless an exemption applies under a tax treaty. Essentially, a non-resident alien is a foreign national who does not meet the tax residency requirements of the United States.

Who Should File Form 1040NR?

Form 1040NR should be filed by nonresident aliens who have income from U.S. sources. This includes wages, investments, or earnings from a trade or business within the United States. There is no minimum income threshold for filing Form 1040NR; all U.S. sourced income must be reported, regardless of amount.

Common examples of nonresident aliens who must file Form 1040NR include students holding F-1 or J-1 visas, teachers, and individuals in the U.S. for medical treatment. Unlike U.S. citizens and green card holders—who are considered resident aliens and must file Form 1040 to report their worldwide income—nonresident aliens are only required to report their income that originates from U.S. sources.

Do US citizens file 1040NR?

No, US citizens do not file Form 1040NR. Form 1040NR, or the U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return, is specifically designed for nonresident aliens to report income they earn from U.S. sources. US citizens and green card holders, regardless of where they live, are considered resident aliens for tax purposes and must file Form 1040 to report their worldwide income. It is important for US citizens to understand that using Form 1040NR instead of Form 1040 would be incorrect, even if they are living abroad. If such a mistake occurs, it must be corrected by amending the return to use Form 1040. In essence, Form 1040NR is exclusively for nonresident aliens, not for US citizens.

What Is The Difference Between a Nonresident Alien and a Resident Alien?

The primary differences between nonresident and resident aliens in the United States hinge on residency status, taxation, and the corresponding tax forms required. A nonresident alien has not passed the green card test or substantial presence test and is thus only taxed on income sourced within the U.S. They must file Form 1040NR. In contrast, a resident alien either holds a green card or satisfies the substantial presence test and is taxed on their worldwide income, similar to U.S. citizens. Resident aliens file Form 1040.

CriteriaNonresident AlienResident Alien
Residency QualificationsNeither a U.S. citizen nor a national, and does not meet the green card or substantial presence tests.Either holds a green card or meets the substantial presence test (31 days in the current year and 183 days over a 3-year period).
TaxationTaxed only on U.S. sourced income.Taxed on worldwide income, similar to U.S. citizens.
Tax FormsMust file Form 1040NR.Files Form 1040, the same as U.S. citizens.
Eligibility for Deductions/CreditsLimited eligibility for tax deductions and credits.Same eligibility for deductions and credits as U.S. citizens.

What Is Form 1040NR: U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return?

Form 1040NR, or the U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return, is a tax form used by nonresident aliens to report their income derived from U.S. sources. This form is specifically designed for individuals who are not U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents (green card holders) and who do not meet the substantial presence test, which would otherwise classify them as resident aliens for tax purposes. Filing Form 1040NR helps nonresident aliens report their U.S. sourced income and manage their tax liability, especially in cases where the tax withheld at the source does not fully cover their tax obligations.

Key Features of Form 1040NR:

Who Files It: It is used by nonresident aliens engaged in a trade or business in the United States or those who have U.S. sourced income and are required to file a U.S. tax return. This includes those with wages, dividends, rents, royalties, or other types of income from U.S. sources.

Income Reporting: Nonresident aliens use Form 1040NR to report types of income that are subject to U.S. tax. The form allows them to calculate the amount of tax owed based on their U.S. sourced income.

Deductions and Credits: Form 1040NR provides space for nonresident aliens to claim certain deductions and credits that are allowed under U.S. tax law, although these opportunities are more limited compared to those available on Form 1040 for U.S. citizens and resident aliens.

Purpose of Filing:

The primary purpose of filing Form 1040NR is to ensure compliance with U.S. tax laws by accurately reporting income and paying the correct amount of taxes on income that is connected to U.S. sources. For nonresident aliens, managing tax obligations through Form 1040NR is crucial to avoid potential penalties and to fulfill legal responsibilities while working, studying, or conducting business in the United States.

How Are Nonresident Aliens Taxed Differently From U.S. Citizens?

Nonresident aliens are taxed in the United States under very different rules compared to U.S. citizens and resident aliens. Primarily, nonresident aliens are required to pay income taxes only on their US sourced income, which includes earnings from employment, investments, and business activities conducted within the U.S. This is distinct from U.S. citizens and resident aliens who must report and pay taxes on their worldwide income to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

Form 1040NR is the specific tax form used by nonresident aliens to declare their U.S. sourced income. Unlike the more common Form 1040 used by citizens, Form 1040NR is designed to accommodate the unique situations of those who are not permanent residents or citizens but still engage in economic activities in the U.S. For instance, foreign persons who worked on a foreign vessel that docked at U.S. ports would need to file this form if they earned income during their stay.

In addition to different filing requirements, the tax rates and eligibility for certain tax credits and deductions also vary significantly. For example, nonresident aliens cannot claim the standard deduction offered to resident aliens and citizens. Instead, they may claim only itemized deductions related to their income that is effectively connected with their business activities in the U.S.

What Deductions Are Available to Nonresident Aliens?

Nonresident aliens face more restrictions in their ability to claim deductions on their U.S. tax returns compared to U.S. residents and citizens. Understanding these limitations and opportunities can help nonresident aliens navigate their tax responsibilities more effectively.

Limited Deduction Opportunities

Nonresident aliens are unable to claim the standard deduction, which is commonly available to U.S. taxpayers filing Form 1040. Similarly, many of the itemized deductions accessible on Form 1040, such as those for mortgage interest, state and local taxes, and charitable contributions, are also off-limits. This limited deduction framework emphasizes the need for nonresident aliens to accurately track and report income and expenses directly related to their U.S. activities.

Deductions for Capital Losses

One of the main deductions available to nonresident aliens is for losses from sales or exchanges of capital assets. This can include losses from the sale of U.S. real estate or stocks, provided the income from these assets would be considered connected with a U.S. trade or business.

Business Deductions

Nonresident aliens may claim deductions for business expenses if their income is considered “effectively connected income” (ECI) from a U.S. trade or business. These deductions are generally limited to those directly connected with the operation of that business in the U.S. Typical business deductions might include travel expenses, legal and professional fees, and office expenses, provided they are directly related to the business activity conducted in the U.S.

Tax Treaty Benefits

For nonresident aliens from countries that have a tax treaty with the United States, there may be opportunities to claim additional deductions or enjoy reduced tax rates on certain types of income, such as interest, dividends, and capital gains. To benefit from these treaty provisions, nonresident aliens must file specific forms such as the W-8BEN and 8233, which establish their eligibility for treaty benefits.

Are you a nonresident alien needing to file a U.S. tax return or seeking clarification on your tax obligations? At 1040 Abroad, we specialize in guiding nonresident aliens through their U.S. tax filings. We offer a flat fee of $400 for nonresident tax return preparations and provide unlimited free tax consultations via email to ensure you are fully informed and compliant with U.S. tax laws. Don’t navigate the complexities of the IRS alone. Contact us today for expert assistance and peace of mind during tax season.

U.S. Taxes For American Expats E-book

FREE U.S. Tax Guide for Americans Abroad

The only e-book about U.S. Expat Taxes you need to read! Covers

1. Foreign Tax Credit vs. Foreign Earned Income Exclusion

2. The Additional Child Tax Credit. Get a $1,400 refund!

3.  What happens if I don't file?

and more...

Thanks for requesting our free tax guide! It will be delivered to your inbox shortly.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.