Foreign Self-Employment Income: A US Expat’s Guide

Apr 5, 2024

Navigating the intricate world of expat taxes presents unique challenges and reporting obligations for self-employed U.S. citizens living abroad. Understanding the nuances of foreign income, tax treaties, and self-employment taxes is crucial for maintaining compliance with the IRS while optimizing financial health.

What Constitutes Foreign Self-Employment Income?

Foreign self-employment income refers to the income earned by self-employed individuals who work outside of the United States. The IRS defines self-employment income as any income earned through a trade or business when you are a sole proprietor or a member of a partnership, and it includes income earned from side gigs or part-time businesses. Self-employment income is subject to self-employment taxes, which include Social Security and Medicare taxes, and self-employed individuals are required to pay quarterly estimated taxes in addition to filing an annual return.

What Is The Threshold For Reporting Foreign Self-Employment Income?

If your net earnings from self-employment exceed $400, you are required to report this income on a US tax return. This income threshold applies to all self-employed individuals, including those working abroad, and encompasses your worldwide income.

What is the U.S. Self-Employment Tax Rate?

For the tax year 2023, US expats who are self-employed need to be aware of the self-employment tax rate that applies to their net earnings. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) outlines that the total self-employment tax rate is composed of two parts: a 12.4% contribution towards Social Security and an additional 2.9% that goes towards Medicare. Collectively, this brings the self-employment tax rate to approximately 15.3% of your net profit.

How to Report Foreign Self-Employment Income?

The following schedules are used to report foreign self-employment income:
1) Schedule C (Form 1040): Schedule C is designed for individuals who operated a business or practiced a profession as a sole proprietor. Use this schedule to report your foreign self-employment income, expenses, and any deductions. It’s essential for calculating your net business income, which will be used to determine your self-employment tax liability and regular income tax.
2) Schedule SE (Form 1040): This schedule is used to report Social Security and Medicare taxes on your self-employment income. Self-employed individuals are required to pay these taxes on their entire net income, even if they are able to exclude a portion of that income under income tax exemptions for expats.
3) Schedule F (Form 1040): This schedule is used to report income and expenses from farming activities. If you are a self-employed farmer with foreign self-employment income, you will need to complete this schedule to report your income and expenses.
4) Schedule K-1 (Form 1065): This schedule is used to report the distributive share of income, deductions, credits, etc. from a partnership. If you are a member of a partnership with foreign self-employment income, you will need to complete this schedule to report your share of the partnership’s income, deductions, and credits.

It is important to note that the specific schedules required may vary depending on the nature of your self-employment activities and the specific rules of the country where you earned the income.

How to Make Estimated Quarterly Tax Payments?

For self-employed US expats, navigating tax obligations without the convenience of automatic withholdings from a monthly paycheck means taking a proactive approach to tax payments. Estimated quarterly tax payments are a crucial part of staying compliant with the IRS, ensuring that you’re covering your income and self-employment taxes throughout the year.

Here’s a straightforward guide to calculating and making these payments to avoid underpayment penalties and manage your financial planning effectively.

Step 1: Calculate Your Net Earnings

First, you’ll need to estimate your total income for the year. This includes all expected income streams, whether from your self-employment activities, investments, or any other sources. Next, subtract your estimated business expenses from this total. These expenses can include anything from office supplies and equipment to travel costs and home office expenses, provided they are necessary and ordinary expenses for your business operations.

Using accounting software can greatly simplify this process by keeping all your income and expenses organized. Alternatively, a well-maintained spreadsheet can also do the job, but it might require more manual oversight to ensure accuracy.

Step 2: Estimate Your Taxes and Make Quarterly Payments

Once you have your estimated net earnings, calculate your total expected self-employment tax by multiplying your net earnings by 0.153 (15.3%). This rate covers both Social Security and Medicare taxes. After calculating your total expected self-employment tax for the year, divide this number by four to determine your quarterly estimated tax payments.

It’s crucial to revisit these estimates regularly throughout the year. If your actual income exceeds your initial estimates, you’ll need to adjust your quarterly payments accordingly to avoid owing money when you file your annual tax return. Likewise, if you find that you’re earning less than anticipated, you can reduce your estimated payments.

Making Adjustments to Your Quarterly Payments

Adjusting your payments is straightforward: simply recalculate your estimated net earnings and taxes based on your updated financial projections and divide by the remaining payment periods. This ensures your estimated payments stay aligned with your actual income, helping you avoid underpayment penalties or significant overpayments.

Payment Due Dates

Quarterly estimated tax payments are due on the following dates each year:

  • April 15th for the first quarter,
  • June 15th for the second quarter,
  • September 15th for the third quarter, and
  • January 15th of the following year for the fourth quarter.

If any of these dates fall on a weekend or legal holiday, the payment is due on the next business day.

Final Steps: Filing Your Annual Tax Return

After the fiscal year concludes and you’ve compiled your actual income and expenses, you’ll file your federal income tax return. This is when you’ll reconcile the taxes you’ve paid through your quarterly estimated payments with your actual tax liability. If you’ve overpaid, you’ll be eligible for a refund. Conversely, if you’ve underpaid, you’ll need to settle the difference.

How can US expats reduce their self-employment tax liability?

US expats can reduce their self-employment tax liability by utilizing various strategies and tax benefits available to them. Some key ways to reduce self-employment tax liability for expats include:

Business Deductions: Self-employed Americans can benefit from business deductions, which allow them to deduct legitimate business expenses from their self-employment income, thereby reducing the taxable amount.

Tax Treaty Benefits: American Expats can leverage income tax treaty benefits between the US and foreign countries to potentially reduce their tax obligations. Tax treaties may provide provisions that help avoid double taxation and offer specific benefits for self-employed individuals.

Social Security Totalization Agreements: Totalization agreements between the US and certain countries allow expats to claim exemptions from paying social security tax in one country by filing a statement with their tax authorities. This can help reduce the overall tax burden for self-employed expats.

Foreign Earned Income Exclusion: Expats can utilize the FEIE to exclude a certain amount of their foreign earned income from US taxation. While this exclusion does not directly reduce self-employment tax, it can lower the overall taxable income.

Foreign Tax Credit: Self-employed expats can claim a Foreign Tax Credit for foreign income taxes paid, which can help offset US tax liabilities. This credit allows expats to reduce their US tax bill by the amount of foreign taxes paid on the same income.

By strategically utilizing these tax benefits and deductions, self-employed expats can effectively reduce their self-employment tax liability and optimize their overall tax situation. It is advisable for expats to seek professional advice tailored to their individual circumstances to ensure they are maximizing available tax-saving opportunities.

Creating a Foreign Corporation to Minimize Self-Employment Tax

US expat entrepreneurs can consider establishing a foreign corporation to mitigate the 15.3% self-employment tax on their foreign business income. By doing so, American expats can pay themselves wages from the foreign corporation and potentially exclude this income using the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (FEIE), thus reducing their taxable income in the United States.

Steps to Utilize a Foreign Corporation for Tax Benefits:

  1. Establish a Foreign Corporation: Incorporate your business in the foreign country where you reside or conduct most of your business activities. This step may require understanding local laws and potentially seeking legal counsel in that country.
  2. Pay Yourself a Salary: Instead of directly receiving all business income as self-employed income, you can draw a salary from your foreign corporation.
  3. Utilizing the FEIE: You can exclude your foreign-earned income using the FEIE.

Downsides and Compliance Costs

While this strategy can offer tax savings, it also increases compliance costs and complexity. Forming a foreign corporation triggers additional US tax filing requirements, including the filing of Form 5471, Information Return of U.S. Persons With Respect To Certain Foreign Corporations.

At 1040 Abroad, we specialize in offering expert tax advice to self-employed American expats facing the complexities of international taxes. With our commitment to providing value and guidance, we offer free tax advice via email to address your immediate questions and concerns.

For detailed, personalized support, you have the option to schedule a call with one of our seasoned accountants for a $50 retainer, which will be credited towards your tax return preparation fee. Our team is dedicated to helping you navigate your tax obligations efficiently, ensuring you benefit from every opportunity to optimize your expat tax situation. Reach out to us for reliable support and start managing your taxes more effectively today.

Written by

Kasia Strzelczyk, EA

A certified accountant and IRS enrolled agent with over 8 years of experience working with US expats. With a deep understanding of the unique financial challenges faced by expats, Kasia is dedicated to helping clients navigate complex tax laws and regulations.

U.S. Taxes For American Expats E-book

FREE U.S. Tax Guide for Americans Abroad

The only e-book about U.S. Expat Taxes you need to read! Covers

1. Foreign Tax Credit vs. Foreign Earned Income Exclusion

2. The Additional Child Tax Credit. Get a $1,400 refund!

3.  What happens if I don't file?

and more...

Thanks for requesting our free tax guide! It will be delivered to your inbox shortly.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.